A study of the gender differentials in the prevalence of chronic diseases among elderly based on National Sample Survey 52nd and 60th data
Anamika Pandey, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS)
This study is an attempt to examine the trend in gender gap in the prevalence of chronic diseases using unit level data on morbidity and healthcare from NSS 60th (2004-05) and NSS 52nd (1995-96) rounds. Gender gap and the difference in gender gap in the prevalence of chronic diseases in the two surveys has been estimated and decomposed by place of residence, MPCE and Education category. Overall, the prevalence of chronic diseases among elderly has increased almost three times and also the gender gap has widened to a great extent both for rural and urban areas. In both the time points the gender gap in the prevalence of chronic diseases is more for urban areas but the increase in gender gap is found to be more or less similar in both the areas. Of the total increase in gender gap, 63 percent is accounted by rural areas and the rest 37 percent by urban area. Further the increase in gender gap is mainly contributed by high MPCE tertile and literates in both the sectors.
Presented in Poster Session 3